All praise is due to Allah, the cherisher of world, and peace and blessing be upon our prophet Mohammed and on his family and all his companions.
These Terms and Conditions are for the following products & services:
b) Current Account
c) Saving Account
d) ATM Card/Debit Card
e) SAB Phone
1. Definitions: “Account” means the Account which is the subject of the application on the reverse side of these Terms and Conditions and any subsequent Current Account(s) opened by the same customer. It is opened with the Bank for deposit and withdrawal purposes only. No profits are earned.
“Accountholder” means the applicant for the Account (one person or more whether natural or corporate).
“Bank or SAB” means the Saudi British Bank or its successors.
“Cardholder” means the person to whom the ATM card is issued.
“Card” refers to ATM Cards/Debit Cards issued by the Bank to the Cardholder which may be used to effect Banking transactions on the Cardholder's Account by electronic means whether at an Automated Teller Machine or Point Of Sale terminal, through services provided directly by the Bank or through another party on behalf of the Bank, whether inside or outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
2. Authorised Agents/Power of Attorney: Where the Accountholder issues a Power of Attorney executed by his employer or on the Bank's standard letter-head papers to an Agent/Attorney to operate the Account and to make other acts and things the agent’s / attorney’s acts will be binding on the Accountholder and the Accountholder hereby requests the Bank to rely on such Power of Attorney which will remain in force and effect until such time as the Bank receives from the Accountholder a written revocation of the Power of Attorney. The Accountholder shall indemnify and hold the Bank harmless from any and all claims and liabilities paid or incurred by the Bank in connection with the acceptance of such Power of Attorney, and the operation of the Account by the Attorney.
The signatory/ies to the Account/s, is/are authorised to:
a) Operate the Account (deposit and withdrawal).
b) Withdraw and deal with any securities or property or documents of title in the name/s of the Accountholder/s, which may be deposited with the Bank for safe custody or in safe deposit from time to time, whether by way of security or otherwise.
c) Arrange with the Bank for extension of Islamic facilities.
d) Sign on behalf of the Accountholder/s, any form of deposit and withdrawal, memorandum of deposit, letter of trust, mortgage, hypothecation and pledge to secure any Islamic facilities and any obligation, undertakings, indemnities and counter indemnities and any other documents relating thereto.
Should the Accountholder authorise the Attorney otherwise, the Bank will be informed in writing and approve the same.
3. Debit of Charges: The Bank shall have the right, without reference to the Accountholder to debit the Account with all expenses, fees and taxes, etc. paid or incurred by the Bank or its Correspondents on behalf of the Accountholder.
4. Set-off: All the Accounts of the Accountholder, regardless of its currency, shall only constitute one single Account. The Bank shall without prior notice combine or consolidate all the Accounts with the liabilities of the Accountholder, and set-off or transfer any sum/s standing to the credit of any such Accounts or any other sum/s owing from the Bank in or towards satisfaction of any liabilities to the Bank on any other Account or in any other respect whether such liabilities are actual or contingent.
5. Foreign Currency Accounts: Amounts deposited in foreign currency Accounts shall be withdrawn in Saudi Riyals or any major foreign currencies at the Bank's buying rate for the respective currencies applicable at the time of withdrawal. Withdrawals may be made in the currency of the Account, subject to the deduction of the Bank's usual charges for such transactions.
6. Amounts Deposited by Mistake: The Bank reserves the right without prior notice to the Accountholder to debit/reverse any payments or deposits that doesn’t belongs to him which is credited to his Account by mistake, whether the mistake was from the Bank or its employees or its customers or others. The customer doesn’t have the right to claim any of these amounts.
7. In Case of Death/Incapacity/Insolvency: The Bank, upon knowing of the death of any Accountholder or of the loss of capacity or Bankruptcy by court order, will stop the operation of the Account, and all monies, securities and property now or thereafter standing to the credit of the Account with the Bank, or held by the Bank on behalf of the Accountholder, will only be released upon appointment of the heirs of the deceased by the relevant authorities and the production of the necessary documentation authorising such release.
The Bank may exercise the right of set-off referred to in Section (4) above and apply all or part of the credit balance of the Account to any indebtedness, matured or unmeasured, owed by any Accountholder.
8. Documents in Accountholder’s Custody: Chequebooks, and any other document(s) issued to the Accountholder shall be under his sole responsibility. The Bank shall not be responsible for use of such items by other parties.
9. Minimum Balance Requirements: Without prejudice to the Bank's right to close the Account of the Account Holder, as stipulated in Article 10 of this agreement, the Account Holder is under no obligation to maintain any minimum balance in the Account.
10. Account Closure: Either the Bank or the Accountholder may close the Account at any time on the following occasions:
a) When the Accountholder submits an official request to close the Account. The Accountholder must return the ATM card and any unused cheques to the Bank.
b) The Bank reserves the right to close the Account if the Account balance remains zero for 90 days from the Account opening date.
c) The Bank reserves the right to close the Account if the Accountholder withdraw the full balance and the Account balance remains at zero for a period of 4 years.
d) The Bank reserves the right to close the Account if there are incomplete information or the in case the Account is used for any purposes other than what it was opened for, or the Bank suspects any transaction found to be against the rules governing Anti Money Laundering and Combating Terrorist Financing and the Bank may, if there are no regulatory restrictions, return the available balance to its rightful source.
e) The Bank will notify the Accountholder of the decision of Account closure 30 days prior to the effective date, by any means it deems fit.
f) The Account Holder must return to the Bank the Card (as defined in these Terms and Conditions) and the cheque book(s) upon closing the Account.
g) The Bank must destroy any received cheque book(s) and Card upon the Customer's closure of the Account.
h) The Bank has the right to refuse and/or reject the Account Holder's request to close the Account in case there are any pending financial services or products that are linked to the Account. Such services may and products may include, but not limited to: Credit Cards, Loans, advance payment, credit facilities or any other product or service that requires maintaining the Account.
11. Amendment of Terms and Conditions: The Bank reserves the right at all times to vary or amend the Terms and Conditions and/or introduce new Terms and Conditions. The Bank will notify the Accountholder of such variations or amendments, 30 days prior to the effective date, by any means it deems fit. Such variations or amendments will become effective and binding for the Accountholder from the day they are published and made effective. If the Accountholder is unwilling to accept any such variations or amendments, he/she may choose to stop using the Bank’s services, by closing the Account and must return the ATM Card along with any unused cheques to the Bank for cancellation.
12. Joint Accounts:
a) Each jointAccountholder shall be jointly and severally responsible for any amounts due to the Bank in connection with the aforesaid Accounts.
b) If more than one person signs, or agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, the obligations of such persons hereunder will be joint and several and, as the context may require, words herein denoting the singular only will be deemed to include the plural. Any notice hereunder to any of such persons will be deemed effective notification to all such persons.
13. Change of Business Structure: All information relating to partnership Terms and Conditions, memorandum and articles of association, rules of Club/Society/Association and authorised signatories which have been communicated to the Bank shall remain in force until a copy of any amendments thereof certified by the Accountholder/s has been delivered to the Bank.
14. Overdrafts: Unless the Accountholder has an overdraft credit facility under a separate agreement with the Bank, the following will be applied:
a) Cheques causing the Account to be over drawn will be returned and the Account will be charged in accordance with the Tariff of Charges issued by the Bank from time to time for each returned cheque.
b) In case an ATM cash withdrawal, deposited Cheque, Debit Card transaction or any payment instrument creates an overdraft and it is inadvertently honoured by the Bank, the Accountholder shall promptly, upon demand, pay to the Bank the amount of the overdraft.
15. Inactive accounts, relationships and banking transactions:
a) Account is considered to be Active if no more than 24 calendar months has elapsed from the date of last financial transaction (Cash Deposit / Check Deposit / Cash withdrawal / Issuance Draft Check / Outgoing transfer) done by the customer or his authorized attorney through any authenticated bank channel.
b) Account is considered to be Dormant if it completes more than 24 calendar months from the date of last financial transaction (Cash Deposit / Check Deposit / Cash withdrawal / Issuance Draft Check / Outgoing transfer) done by the customer or his authorized attorney through any authenticated bank channel.
c) Account is considered to be Unclaimed if it completes 60 calendar months from the date of last financial transaction (Cash Deposit / Check Deposit / Cash withdrawal / Issuance Draft Check / Outgoing transfer) done by the customer or his authorized attorney through any authenticated bank channel.
d) Account is considered to be Abandoned if it completes 180 calendar months from the date of last financial transaction (Cash Deposit / Check Deposit / Cash withdrawal / Issuance Draft Check / Outgoing transfer) done by the customer or his authorized attorney through any authenticated bank channel.
a) The Bank is authorised to debit the Account with all amounts and any other related charges and commissions claimed by the Bank in respect of guarantees, Bills, cheques, orders of payment or other negotiable instruments sent for collection but not honored. The Bank will not be liable for any loss due to a fault by any local or foreign Bank or any correspondent acting on behalf of the Bank.
b) All payment orders and currency exchange transactions in Saudi Arabia or elsewhere, undertaken by the Bank on behalf of the Accountholder/s, shall be at the risk and expense of the Accountholder.
c) The Bank reserves the right to disclose, in strict confidence, to other institutions, such information concerning the Account as may be necessary, or appropriate, in connection with its participation in any electronic fund transfer network.
d) These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the Sharia laws in force in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
e) The account information will be shared with the authorities inside or outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the consent of the local regulators whenever deemed appropriate.
f) For remittance, please note that the Kingdom’s rules prohibit remittance of funds if the customer (remitter) does not know the beneficiary (transferee) or there is no appropriate relationship with the beneficiary or no legitimate purpose.
g) SAB will keep the original related documents of this agreement for 10 years after the end of this contractual relationship.
h) Without prejudice to the provisions of the Saudi Value Added Tax Law and its Implementing Regulations, the bank will charge a Value Added Tax at the rates prevailing by the Saudi Government from time to time without the need to obtaining the prior approval of the customer, the VAT amount - if applied - will be disclosed with every transaction.
b) Current Accounts
1. Right to Payment of Profit: The monies in the Account are held on demand. However the Bank may utilise such monies with a guarantee of payment upon request. The Accountholder has no right to claim profits.
2. Statements of Account: The records and the Accounts maintained by the Bank are considered to be correct, final and conclusive evidence binding on the Account holder and objection rights shall be waived after one month from dispatch of Statement of Account to the Account holder at his latest address recorded with the Bank.
3. Foreign Currency Account: Excluding Saudi Riyal accounts, in the event of negative interest rates I/we irrevocably and unconditionally undertake to bear any costs incurred by SAB in safe keeping of foreign currency credit balances in our accounts. These charges will be published on SAB website under Personal Banking section.
c) Saving Account
Saving Account is a current Account of special features. However no profits will be attracted nor will cheque books be issued. The Accountholder must use the vouchers prepared by the Bank for any withdrawals or deposits. No withdrawal by cheque or any other method is allowed, except by ATM Card.
d) ATM Card/Debit Card
The Card shall be used by the Accountholder for performing Banking transactions on the Accountholder’s Account by electronic means such as ATM’s or POS or through services offered directly by SAB or through other parties on behalf of SAB inside or outside of the KSA.
1. The Card remains the property of the Bank and shall be returned immediately by the Cardholder at the request of the Bank.
2. Immediately on receipt of the Card, the Cardholder will sign with a ballpoint pen, in the panel marked “Cardholder’s Signature” on the back of the Card. Such signature to be in the same style and form as that provided to the Bank on the form applying for the Card.
3. The Bank reserves the right to withdraw or cancel the Card, and/or any of the facilities provided by usage of the Card, at any time, with or without cause, or with or without prior notice to the Cardholder.
4. The Cardholder may cancel the Card with or without prior notice, or with or without cause, by returning it to the Bank with written instructions to this effect. The obligations of the Cardholder herein shall cease only when all outstanding transactions using the Card have been settled to the satisfaction of the Bank.
5. The Cardholder will be responsible for all Card facilities granted by the Bank in respect of the Card.
6. The Cardholder will exercise every possible care to prevent the Card from being used by any other person, and from being lost or stolen, and shall notify the Bank immediately and confirm to the Bank in writing in case of theft or loss of the Card. It is understood the Bank will not be liable for transactions prior to receipt of written notification of loss or theft of the Card.
The loss or theft or any unauthorised use of the Card should be reported immediately upon discovery to the Bank's Card Centre on telephone no. 8001248888, and immediately confirmed by fax or in writing. However, it is understood that any telephone or fax notification is neither binding on the Bank nor can it release the Cardholder from responsibility and liabilities unless written confirmation of the loss of the Card is received by the Bank.
The Bank will be under no obligation to issue a replacement Card to the Cardholder following its loss or theft. In case the Bank agrees to issue a replacement Card, such Card will be subject to the prevailing replacement Card fee. Any replacement Card issued by the Bank to the Cardholder shall be subject to the same Terms and Conditions with the same benefits, facilities and obligations, and shall be considered in all cases as part of the principal or original Card and not a separate or standalone Card.
7. The Bank will include all transactions effected by use of the Card in the periodic Statement issued to the Cardholder.
8. The Bank's record of transactions processed by the use of the Card shall be conclusive and binding in all cases.
9. The Cardholder is not entitled to overdraw the Account with the Bank or to withdraw/transfer funds by use of the Card in excess of the available balance in the Account.
10. The Bank will enable the Accountholder to set his Personal Identification Number (PlN) via ATM machine or in any way it deems fit. The PIN is strictly confidential and must not be disclosed to another party under any circumstances.
The Cardholder shall not keep any written record of the PIN in any place, or in a manner which may enable another party to use the PIN and Card.
11. The Cardholder shall at all times remain liable for any transaction made by use of the Card and shall indemnify the Bank against all loss/damage howsoever caused by any unauthorised use of the Card or related PIN, and the Bank shall be entitled to assume all usage of the Card and related PIN to be authentic.
12. The Bank will debit the Account of the Cardholder according to its prevailing Tariff of Charges, or as announced by the Bank from time to time, for use of the Card, including joining, annual, replacement and individual transaction fees as applicable whether inside or outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
13. Withdrawals in currencies other than Saudi Riyals will be debited to the Cardholder's Account after conversion to Saudi Riyals at the Bank's selling rate of exchange for the related foreign currency as determined by the Bank on the day of conversion. The Cardholder agrees to comply with all exchange control regulations from time to time in force which may be affected by using the Card and to indemnify the Bank in respect of any loss, claim, or expense incurred by the Bank as a result of non-compliance with any such regulations. The Cardholder authorises the Bank to debit the Account with any taxes, duties, charges or any other Government impositions on this Account.
14. Should any ATM used by the Accountholder fail to dispense the amount requested, the Accountholder shall report this event immediately in detail to the institution operating the ATM and to the Bank in the form required by the Bank. Subject to sufficient proof, the Bank will credit the Accountholder Account with the amount previously debited in excess of the funds paid and the Accountholder will repay on demand to the Bank the amount paid by any ATM in excess of the amount requested, or dispensed by the ATM, or credited to the Cardholder’s Account.
15. Cash deposited at Cash Deposit Machine (CDM) will be instantly credited to the Customer Account, as per the input by the Customer. Bank will not be held liable for any errors/omissions made by the Customer while performing the transaction. The information contained in the Bank’s journal would serve as an evidence in any disputes and the Bank’s decision will be final and binding on the Customer.
16. The Bank shall not be liable for any refusal of any merchant establishment to honour the Card on any POS terminal or in any other form, nor will the Bank be responsible in any way for any of the goods or services supplied to the Cardholder for which payment was made by use of the Card. Complaints against the merchant should be resolved by the Cardholder with the merchant establishment and no claim by the Cardholder against the merchant establishment will relieve the Cardholder from any obligation to the Bank. Any refund due to the Cardholder from the merchant shall be obtained by the Cardholder direct from the merchant and not from the Bank.
The value of the purchase of goods, or services, effected by the use of the Card in a POS terminal or any payments made by the Card at an establishment will be debited to the Cardholder’s Account. The Cardholder’s failure to sign any receipt will not relieve the Cardholder from liabilities to the Bank in respect thereof.
17. The Bank will not be liable for any failure to provide any service or to perform any obligation hereunder, where such failure is attributable, whether directly or indirectly, to any dispute or other circumstances beyond its control. The Bank will not be liable for any consequential or indirect damage arising from or related to, the use of the Card on any ATM, POS or other terminal, the temporary insufficient of funds in the ATM, or the malfunction/failure of such equipment.
18. Card transactions for purchases, withdrawal, transfers and payments are subject to the respective daily total and individual transaction limits as determined by the Bank and other parties accepting the Card from time to time.
19. The Cardholder may, at the Bank’s discretion and subject to SAMA regulation, request to increase/decrease of his/her Card daily transaction limit. In case of increase in the transaction limit, the Cardholder accepts and bears full responsibility for the associated risk that may arise due to higher exposure.
e) SAB Phone
1. Definitions: Unless the context otherwise requires, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
“Accounts” means the Primary Account and the Customer’s other Accounts with the Bank which the Customer has designated and the Bank has agreed to effect transactions.
“SAB Phone” means Automated Telephone Banking Service.
“Customer” means the person who has applied for SAB Phone.
“PIN” means the Personal Identification Number issued by the Bank to the Customer in connection with SAB Phone and includes any replacement number.
“Primary Account” means the Customer’s Account with the Bank which the Customer has designated and the Bank has agreed to perform transactions.
“Transaction” means a utilisation of any of the Banking facilities available through the use of SAB Phone and includes any utilisation that may be unauthorised by the Customer or otherwise fraudulent or dishonest.
2. The Customer shall be liable for all transactions processed by the use or purported use of SAB Phone and/or the PIN for any purpose whatsoever, with or without Customer's knowledge or consent. The Customer waives all rights and remedies against the Bank in respect of any loss arising from unauthorised use of SAB Phone and/or PIN.
3. The Customer shall:
a) Maintain the secrecy of the PIN and notify the Bank immediately if the PIN becomes known to any unauthorised persons.
b) Cooperate fully with the Bank in the event of any investigations or litigation relating to SAB Phone or its use.
c) Be liable for the amounts debited to his Account due to use of SAB Phone Service.
d) Authorise the Bank to debit his Account with the annual service fee for the use of SAB Phone as fixed by the Bank from time to time.
e) The Bank shall be entitled to debit the Customer's Primary Account for any charges levied from time to time for services requested via SAB Phone.
f) Accept Advices/Statements for all transactions and to treat same as binding and final unless complained in writing or through dedicated telephone numbers of “SAB Phone Service” within thirty days of the issue thereof.
4. The Customer shall forthwith notify the Branch of the Bank at which the Primary Account is maintained via Telephone to be followed by confirmation in writing upon the occurrence of any of the events set out below:
a) The use of SAB Phone by any person other than the Customer.
b) The loss or theft of the PIN or when the PIN becomes known to any person other than the Customer.
c) The commencement of Bankruptcy or other execution proceedings against the Customer.
d) The death or legal disability of any one or more holders of a joint Account.
5. Upon receipt by the Bank of such telephone notification the Bank shall be entitled at its sole discretion to:
a) Suspend the SAB Phone service.
b) At the Customer’s request to set a new PIN, the Bank will enable him/her to set a new PIN via SAB Phone Toll-free number.
c) Terminate SAB Phone service
d) For a joint Account, freeze the Account and suspend SAB Phone service until the survivor/ survivors establish their right to the Account either amicably or by a court decision. The Bank at its sole discretion would decide whether to continue the Account in light of the legal documents submitted by survivor/survivors or not.
The Customer shall be liable for all transactions effected until the PIN has actually been cancelled or a new PIN issued, whichever is the later. The Bank shall have no obligation to check that the event described in the notification is in fact true.
6. The Bank shall not be liable for any loss, damage or expense howsoever incurred by the Customer arising directly or indirectly out of or in connection with:
a) The exercise by the Bank of its rights mentioned herein.
b) The closure, repair, malfunction or failure of or defect in SAB Phone or other machine data processing system or telephone or transmission link.
c) Any event outside the Bank’s control.
7. The Customer shall indemnify the Bank against all loss, damage and expense (including all legal costs) howsoever caused which the Bank may sustain or incur arising directly or indirectly out of or in connection with:
a) Any use or purported use whatsoever of SAB Phone by the Customer or any other person.
b) Any breach or non-compliance with the Terms and Conditions herein by the Customer.
c) The negligence of the Customer with respect to the use or purported use of SAB Phone.
d) The enforcement by the Bank of its rights hereunder by any means.
8. The Bank shall be entitled to terminate SAB Phone and to change the services available through SAB Phone at any time without prior notice to the customer at its sole and absolute discretion without assigning any reason therefor without prejudice to its own rights against the Customer hereto including all rights to action for any antecedent breach of this Terms and Conditions by the Customer.
9. The use of SAB Phone is subject to the prevailing Terms and Conditions governing the Accounts which shall apply in the event of any inconsistency with the Terms and Conditions herein.
10. The Customer hereby agrees to the Bank recording all conversations made pertaining to SAB Phone and the Bank shall not be held liable for any consequences arising out of the recording of the messages.
11. The Bank reserves the right to determine the priority of transaction(s) against any other existing arrangement(s) with the Bank.
12. All oral instructions received on dedicated telephone numbers will remain effective notwithstanding the death or Bankruptcy/liquidation until notice of such death or Bankruptcy/liquidation or the revocation of the instructions is received by the Bank in writing from any of the heirs of the deceased or from a Government Authority.
13. No act, delay or omission by the Bank shall operate as a waiver or foregoing of all or any of its rights and powers hereunder, save only by express undertaking in writing so to do.
14. All communications by the Bank to the Customer shall be to the last address notified by the Customer to the Bank and shall be deemed received five days after being deposited in the post. The Customer shall be under a duty to advise the Bank immediately of any change of address.